We are here: BIAL Bengaluru
Bengaluru International Airport Limited is India’s first Greenfield airport developed under the Public Private Partnership framework. For the development of this airport, Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) was constituted. 26% of BIAL’s equity is owned by the Airport Authority of India and the Karnataka State Industrial Investment & Development Corporation, while the remaining 74% is held by private promoters. In January 2012, GVK acquired 43% of this equity from the private promoters. With a mission to convert Bengaluru International Airport into an iconic airport, GVK has begun the development operations here.
GVK is committed to fast-tracking Bengaluru International Airport’s development to transform it into a world-class iconic airport. In 2012, the airport handled 12.6 million passengers and over 240,000 metric tonnes of cargo. As part of the immediate expansion, the existing terminal will be expanded to handle over 20 million passengers. This will be followed by a new terminal building with an initial capacity of 20million passengers per annum, which can be expanded to 36 million in due course. Airside infrastructure is also being further strengthened to cater to increased number of Aircraft movements. The master plan envisages the construction of a new integrated passenger terminal, equipped with world-class technology to accommodate up to over 50 million passengers per annum.
With this strategic move, GVK has established presence in South India’s rapidly expanding aviation market. Bengaluru International Airport has been hailed as an engineering marvel with sophisticated terminal and passenger facilities.
As Bengaluru is called the ‘Garden City’, GVK will be highlighting this aspect of the city’s character in the airport’s surroundings. An extensive landscaping project is planned in the airport’s premises. The development plans for Bengaluru International Airport include a complete Airport City with excellent retail, entertainment and hospitality options. Along with improving access to Bengaluru International Airport from the national highway, GVK is also exploring rail connectivity to the city of Bengaluru and beyond.